Labour party 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi is 61 today.
Peter Obi was born on July 19, 1961 in Onitsha. He is a Nigerian businessman and politician who served as the Anambra State Governor three different times, from 2006 to 2014. In May 2022, he became the 2023 Labour Party presidential nominee.
Peter Obi is married to Margaret Browson Usen and their union is blessed with two children.
Peter Obi was a businessman before he ventured into politics. In his words, he started as a trader before joining the corporate world. He has also held leadership positions in lots of private establishments. Among them are, Next International Nigeria Ltd, Chairman and Director of Guardian Express Mortgage Bank Ltd, Guardian Express Bank Plc, Future View Securities Ltd, Paymaster Nigeria Ltd, Chams Nigeria Ltd, Data Corp Ltd and Card Centre Ltd. He was also the youngest chairman of Fidelity Bank Plc.
He attended Christ the King College, Onitsha where he completed his secondary school education and proceeded to University of Nigeria where he obtained B.A (Hons) in philosophy, in 1984.
Peter Obi attended Lagos Business School for a Chief Executive Program. He also attended Harvard Business School where he completed two major programs: London School of Economics and Columbia Business School. He also attended the International Institute for Management Development where he received certificates in the Senior Executive Program and the Chief Executive Officer Program. Aside the previously mentioned school, Peter Obi topped his career by furthering to Kellog School of Management of Northwestern University, Judge Business School of Cambridge University and Saïd Business School of Oxford University.
Peter Obi has won quite a number of awards, such as:
- Sun Newspaper’s Man of the Year (2007)
- This Day Newspaper’s Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria (2009)
- This Day’s Governor of the Decade (2020)
- Champion Newspaper’s Nigeria’s Most Trustworthy Governor (2009)
- West Africa ICT Development Award for Governor of the Year (2010)
- Zik Leadership prize (2011)
- Bill & Melind Gates Foundation’s Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria (2012)
- Ezeife Leadership Foundation’s Leadership and Good Governance Award (2012)
- Methodist Church of Nigeria’s Golden Award on Prudence (2012); Business Hallmark Newspaper’s Man of the Year (2012)
- Silverbird’s Man of the Year (2013)
- The Voice Newspaper’s Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance (2014)
- Champion Newspaper’s Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade (2014)
- Nigerian Library Association’s Golden Merit Award (2014)
- Pontifical Equestrian Order of Saint Sylvester Pope and Martyr (2014)
- Catholic Diocese of Onitsha’s Golden Jubilee Award (2015)